Unsecured loans are loans that are issues without having any pre-requisites of collateral. An unsecured loan provides financial solution for a short term period.
Unsecured loans act as immediate financial solutions. Borrowers with good credit ratings can get unsecured loans at relatively lower interest rates. Unsecured loan packages offer loans with fixed interest rates and with fixed monthly installments. Borrowers have to payback these monthly installments within a pre decided duration of time.
Advantages and disadvantages of unsecured loans differ from one lender to another. Due to this it is necessary to compare the loan packages offered by different lenders. You must understand the terms and conditions offered by a lender. Make sure you have a clear idea about the loan package before getting unsecured loan or any kind of loan like an unsecured tenant loan, so that you do not end up as a defaulter.
Advantages of Unsecured Loans
There are certain advantages of unsecured loans:
– Overall process of unsecured loan application and approval is faster than secured loans, mortgages and home equity loans.
– Very little of documentation and paper work is involved in unsecured loan process.
– Homeowners, renters and non-property owners are eligible to apply for unsecured loans.
– Unsecured loans can be applied for without having any collateral. This allows you to get a loan without staking your property.
– Another most considerable advantage of an unsecured loan is that it is granted on fixed interest rate. Due to fixed interest rates, monthly installments remain unchanged till the end of the payback period.
Disadvantages of Unsecured Loans
Following are the disadvantages of an unsecured loan:
– Since there is no collateral involved, unsecured loans are offered with high interest rates. To get relatively low interest rates borrowers must have good credit record.
– Large amounts of money can not be borrowed as an unsecured loan. Borrowers can only get unsecured loans of maximum R150,000 and it will rise to just R250,000 that too very rarely.
– You have to return the loan within the set payback period. This payback period is set by the lender.
– You are required to pay the loan in pre-decided time frame. If you want to pay your unsecured loan before the set time period, you will have to pay an early repayment fine.
– Repayment terms and conditions of unsecured loans are very rigid. Only lender has the right to decide the amount and repayment schedule of the unsecured loan, which is a must follow for the borrower.
– The application terms and criteria are also rigid. Borrowers with bad credit record, Country Court Judgments CCJs, default or arrears are not eligible to apply for the unsecured loans.
These are some advantages and disadvantages of unsecured loans. Borrowers must consider them when applying for an unsecured loan. Different lenders offer different packages. To choose a flexible lender with relatively lower interest rates, we suggest you to; first be fluent on the characteristics of unsecured loans, second window shop and compare unsecured loan packages offered by different lenders and never go for the first unsecured loan offered.